A powerful aid in protective magic, sea salt is also good for cleansing and purifying crystals and scrying mirrors.
Note: granule sizes vary widely from 1/6″ – 1/4″ by batch.
- A dish of salt is often used to represent the element Earth on an altar.
- Salt may be used to create magical barriers against unwelcome entities. Standing within a circle of salt shields one from attack by these spirits and sprinkling a line of salt on windowsills and doorways prevents then entering the home.
- Salt is said to absorb energy. To absorb negative energy in an area, sprinkle salt around the room, then sweep it up and discard it. It is not a good idea to use salt on the ground outside, as it can damage the fertility of the soil. When using salt outside, it is best to place it in dishes.
- Salt may also be added to a ritual bath to absorb negative energy surrounding a person.
- Some traditions sprinkle salt into their holy water, symbolizing both the waters of the seas and the waters of the womb. This blessed water can be used in a variety of ways for ritual.