The hazel tree is a well-known deciduous shrub with green rounded and toothed leaves. This tree is famous for its use in dowsing, and for making different wands for practitioners of magical arts. Commonly known as Corylus, it is also used for making chopsticks dedicated to lunar rites.
Deities: Mercury, Thor, Artemis and Diana
Magic properties: Chastity, Spirituality and Healing
Hazel is related to wisdom, snakes, and storms. It is used to make magic wands that can fight poisonous snakes and other wands that give its owner control over the clouds and the water bodies.
Search Hazel Products
The hazelnut is a dry fruit, covered by a hard oval-shaped shell and whose interior is edible. This nut is considered a healthy and nutrient-rich dry fruit. Hazelnuts can be used raw or cooked. Extracted from it is an edible oil that is used for cooking, perfumery, as well as massage oils, soaps and lubricants. Hazel leaves were once used to replace tobacco. In the olden days, children drank hazelnut milk to make them grow stronger.
Nutritional Value of the Hazelnuts:
- Help reduce the chances of suffering from certain diseases (pathological and cardiovascular diseases).
- Avoid constipation.
- Eating hazelnuts prevents heart problems.
- Reduce bad cholesterol.
- They are ideal to include in slimming diets.
- Strengthen the immune system.
- The intake of hazelnuts combats tiredness and fatigue.
- They are energetic.
- Very nutritious for its protein content.
- It is an antioxidant.
- They help prevent the formation of kidney stones.
- Hazelnut provides vitamins C, E and B, as well as copper, manganese, calcium, potassium and phosphorus minerals.
Magical Uses of the Hazel:
- When used as a pendant and hung in the house, it will bring luck.
- When given to a bride, it will bring her good fortune.
- Hazelnuts, when eaten, bring wisdom and increase fertility. They are often eaten before divination. It can also be worn to increase one’s fertility.
- To protect yourself or one of your plants outdoors, draw a circle in the dust with a hazelnut twig around you or the plant.
- To protect your home from lightning, put Hazel wood twigs on the window frames.
- To make your wishes come true, make a crown with Hazel wood twigs, put it on your head and think very strongly about your wish and it will be granted unto you.
- Hazel is used in protection spells and incantations for good luck. It is recommended that you burn it while the spell is being performed so that the results will show as soon as possible.
- Hazel is used in preparing the sacred fire of Beltane.
- A tea made with nine hazelnuts will help you to attract customers to your business. You can also scrub the floor of your office with this tea.
In many ancient cultures and traditions, it is said that the hazel plant has a close relationship with the world of fairies. In one of the most famous German traditional tales, Cinderella was said to have planted a hazel in her mother’s grave, where a beautiful tree grew and helped her fulfill her wishes. It was believed that the hazelnut fruit when eaten will transmit knowledge, poetic inspiration and magical abilities.
Furthermore, it was believed that a good hazelnut harvest meant that many children would be born that year. During the night of Samhain, young women and lovers would burn these fruits to reveal the names of their children or that of their future spouses. Hazel wreaths and hazelnut strings can also be used as protective talismans.
The Hazelnut Oil:
Hazelnut oil has a soothing effect on irritated skin, because it is light and easily absorbed by the skin. Its magnesium component helps to strengthen the skin’s natural defenses against some environmental aggression.
It also handles cases of eczema and dermatitis, while regulating the secretions of the skin’s sebaceous glands and enhancing its elasticity.