The art of mirror gazing (scrying) is called Catoptromancy.
It refers to the use of reflective surfaces for the purposes of divination.
The art of scrying is interpreting what you see in the images and colors as they take form. This in a way it is like dream interpretation, and initially you may wish to consult one of the many books on the subject to help define the images you see.
At the end of the day however, the real interpretation will be what those images mean to you personally. The more you practice, the more familiar the images and their meanings will become, but you may need to meditate on them for awhile to reveal any hidden meanings.
What are scrying mirrors used for?
Scrying mirrors can be used to make contact with spirit guides, to access knowledge for healing and self-improvement, or to define the past, predict the present, and perceive the future.
As a portal into other realms, it can also be used to aid astral travel, and during ritual to communicate with deity.
When is the best time to use a scrying mirror?
Scrying can be practiced at any time, but best results are often gained in the quiet of night after the hustle and bustle of the day’s activities.
How to prepare for a scrying session
- It is not necessary to construct a fully consecrated circle for scrying; it is enough to simply create your sacred space by visualizing a circle of white light surrounding and purifying the appointed working area.
- In a quiet darkened room, place your mirror on a table or altar with a dark cloth beneath it.
- Light a candle, one on each side of the mirror, but in such a position they don’t reflect on the mirror’s surface, and if you wish, burn an appropriate blend of incense to stimulate the psychic senses.
- Switch off all other light sources except for the two candles, and seat yourself comfortably in front of the mirror.
- Take a few minutes to relax while you tune into the atmosphere created.
- When ready to start, first ground and center yourself then call your guides or guardians to protect the work from unwanted or misleading influences.
How to look into the scrying mirror
- To begin, when looking at the mirror try not to just stare at it, but look through its surface as if gazing into a dark and endless tunnel. After awhile, images and colors will begin to take form, they may even appear and take shape outside the mirror surrounding it on all sides.
- When you first start scrying be patient, keeping your first sessions to about 10 – 30 minutes, and gradually work it up to hour-long sessions as you learn.
After you have completed your scrying session, re-ground yourself and close your sacred space. You may wish to keep a journal and note down any visions you received during your session and later compare them with a list of dream interpretations.
In conclusion, there are many differing ways and methods of scrying in addition to the one above, so it pays to experiment and use what works best for you. Whatever tool or method you use, be it your own personalized mirror, a crystal ball, or simply a bowl of colored water; it can with time and patience become a font of wisdom and knowledge.
Believe in your abilities and may you find what you seek.