Have you always been fascinated with divination? Do you fancy yourself a clairvoyant? Or maybe, if you are like me, then you are looking into the dark mirror for answers from the spiritual world. So, in this post, it’s time for you to explore the world of scrying mirrors!
What is scrying?
Scrying is an ancient practice of divination that involves gazing into a reflective surface, or scrying mirror, to receive messages and insights from the universe. Anyone can learn this art with just a little guidance and patience. So, let’s dive in!
The art of mirror gazing (scrying) is called Catoptromancy.
It refers to the use of reflective surfaces for the purposes of divination.
The art of scrying is interpreting what you see in the images and colors as they take form. This in a way it is like dream interpretation, and initially, you may wish to consult one of the many books on the subject to help define the images you see.
At the end of the day, however, the real interpretation will be what those images mean to you personally. The more you practice, the more familiar the images and their meanings will become, but you may need to meditate on them for awhile to reveal any hidden meanings.
What are scrying mirrors used for?
Scrying mirrors can be used to make contact with spirit guides, to access knowledge for healing and self-improvement, or to define the past, predict the present, and perceive the future. As a portal into other realms, it can also be used to aid astral travel, and during rituals to communicate with deities.
And OF COURSE…we sell these mirrors too! So…..choose wisely…this will be a lifelong investment into your witchcraft tools.
Firstly, let’s talk about the different types of scrying mirrors. The most common are black obsidian mirrors, but you can also use a clear quartz crystal ball, a bowl of water or even a shiny piece of metal. The key is to find a reflective surface that you feel drawn to. I’ve even used the reflection from the BLACK TV screen. Remember, this is a personal journey, so choose whatever makes you feel most comfortable.
When is the best time to use a scrying mirror?
Scrying can be practiced at any time, but best results are often gained in the quiet of night after the hustle and bustle of the day’s activities.
How to prepare for a scrying session
Once you’ve obtained your scrying mirror, you must prepare it. This includes cleansing and consecrating it. To cleanse your mirror, wash it in saltwater or cleanse it with sage. After cleansing, charge it with your intention by holding it in your hands and saying a prayer or mantra. Now your mirror is ready to work its magic!
- It is not necessary to construct a fully consecrated circle for scrying; it is enough to simply create your sacred space by visualizing a circle of white light surrounding and purifying the appointed working area.
- In a quiet darkened room, place your mirror on a table or altar with a dark cloth beneath it.
- Light a candle, one on each side of the mirror, but in such a position they don’t reflect on the mirror’s surface, and if you wish, burn an appropriate blend of incense to stimulate the psychic senses.
- Switch off all other light sources except for the two candles, and seat yourself comfortably in front of the mirror.
- Take a few minutes to relax while you tune into the atmosphere created.
- When ready to start, first ground and center yourself then call your guides or guardians to protect the work from unwanted or misleading influences.
How to look into the scrying mirror
To start scrying, find a quiet and dimly lit space. Place your mirror on a stand or flat surface and gaze softly into its reflective surface. Relax your mind and let your intuition guide you. You might start seeing images, colors, or symbols. Do not judge or analyze them; just allow them to come through. Trust your intuition and jot down whatever comes up.
- To begin, when looking at the mirror try not to just stare at it, but look through its surface as if gazing into a dark and endless tunnel. After a while, images and colors will begin to take form, they may even appear and take shape outside the mirror surrounding it on all sides.
- When you first start scrying be patient, keeping your first sessions to about 10 – 30 minutes, and gradually work it up to hour-long sessions as you learn.
After you have completed your scrying session, re-ground yourself and close your sacred space. You may wish to keep a journal and note down any visions you received during your session and later compare them with a list of dream interpretations.
Set aside a few minutes every day to scry and observe what comes up. The more you do it, the better you’ll become. Remember, this is an intuitive practice, so there’s no right or wrong way to do it. Scrying can be challenging for beginners, so it’s important to practice consistently.
Don’t give up after a week or even a month…especially if you are a beginner.
Finally, let’s discuss some tips to enhance your scrying practice.
One tip is to light candles or incense to create a calming atmosphere. Another tip is to meditate before scrying to quiet your mind and center yourself. You can also try scrying with a friend or partner to compare and share your insights. The possibilities are endless!
Scrying is a beautiful art that can reveal profound insights and wisdom. By using a reflective surface, such as a scrying mirror, crystal ball, or body of water, you can tap into your intuition and connect with the universe. Remember to choose a reflective surface that resonates with you, cleanse and consecrate it, and then practice consistently. With time and patience, you can master this art and unlock the mysteries of the universe.