As this coming full moon falls over the new year there couldn’t be a better time to perform this ritual. Check your local lunar calendar to find out the exact time of the full moon if you wish.
This Full Moon Releasing Ritual has been simplified to be accessible to beginners and for any practitioner who might want to share it with close friends who are not on the path. It is for anyone who would enjoy, or benefit from, liberating all that has served its purpose this year to make room for the mysteries of the upcoming one, for adventures yet to be had and time’s tales yet to be written…
You Will Need
Cleansing tool – sage, sandalwood or Palo Santo to smoke or spray.
Something to represent each element
- EARTH — soil/sand/crystal,
- FIRE— candle,
- AIR— feather/incense,
- WATER — in a bowl or a glass
- Something to symbolize the moon – I use a crystal sphere, but it could be a picture, the moon tarot card, statue of a moon goddess, whatever you like. It could even be another candle.
Ritual Candle, carve or write your desire on it, and a plate to put it or the holder on – I like white or silver for the full moon, but it really doesn’t matter as long as it’s separate from the representation of the fire element. AND MATCHES, don’t forget the matches!
Paper (notebook) and pen
13 bay leaves or small pieces of paper
A table or place to perform this ritual
A drink for yourself
Optional extras: anointing oil – something that represents the full moon, crystals to grid your space/altar, sacred robes and jewellery, tweezers or small tongs, anything that helps you create a sacred space and any tools you might regularly use in a ritual.
Let’s Get Started!
- First bring everything you are going to use into your chosen space.
- Shower or bathe stating your intent to cleanse and dedicate yourself to the ritual you are about to perform, verbally. It can be as simple as “I’m preparing my body for the ritual ahead” while you’re doing that imagine a shower of white light cleansing your light/aura/ethereal body. Dress in your chosen attire.
- Cleanse and dedicate your space. Smudge your area including yourself and the tools you have gathered and again, verbally state/explain what you are doing “I cleanse and dedicate this space and everything in it to the ritual ahead” If you want to give a shout out to every item, have at it, I would. I’m just trying to keep this as inclusive and as simple as I can.
- Call in each element and dedicate the item you have chosen to represent it. For example, hold the item aloft saying, “I call in the element of fire”then place it on your altar and light the candle. Hold the next item aloft and say, “I call in the element of water