According to Wikipedia, The Third Eye (also called the mind’s eye or inner eye) is a mystical and esoteric concept of a speculative invisible eye, usually depicted as located on the forehead, which provides perception beyond ordinary sight.
The Third Eye also known as Ajna, is the sixth chakra mentioned in Hindu Tantrism. It is connected to the pituitary gland, which lies at the base of the brain. The pineal gland connects to the pituitary gland to reactivate the Third Eye.
In spiritual traditions, the Third Eye refers to the gate that leads to the inner realms of higher consciousness. It symbolizes the state of enlightenment. Those who utilize their Third Eyes are called seers. Buddhists regard the Third Eye as the “eye of consciousness”.
Location: On the forehead, just above the eyebrows.
Element: Extra-Sensory Perception.
Associated Animal: Black Antelope.
Functions of the Third Eye
This energy center is associated with:
- Extrasensory perception
- Out of the body experience
Symptoms of a Blocked Third Eye Chakra
- Always sad and depressed.
- Feeling clumsy
- Unable to learn new things.
- Feeling stagnant
- Lack of faith in your purpose.
Yoga Suggestions for the Opening the Third Eye
To open, heal, and strengthen your Ajna chakra, you could try these poses:
- Hero (Virasana)
- Child’s Pose (Balasana)
- Standing Half Forward Bend (Ardha Uttanasana)
- Supported Shoulderstand (Salamba Sarvangasana)
- Downward-Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
Third Eye Chakra Meditation Techniques:
Meditation is one activity that can balance the nervous system and stimulate parts of the brain that help the pineal gland. When an individual’s Third Eye is balanced, it fosters concentration, focus, and intuition.
While in deep meditation to reawaken the third eye, the pituitary gland and pineal gland are stimulated and combined together to awaken the Third Eye. When awakened, the individual would be able to connect to his higher consciousness.
- Sit comfortably and close your eyes.
- Breathe in and out slowly ten times.
- Focus on the location of the Third Eye and imagine a violent sphere of energy in the middle of your forehead.
- Continue to breathe in and out slowly and deeply.
- Visualize a purple ball of energy that gets bigger and warmer. Imagine the ball purging out every negativity from your body.
- Visualize that you are absorbing the energy of the Third Eye. Feel as it spreads over your body.
- When you are satisfied, end the meditation and open your eyes.
Healing the Third Eye with Stones and Crystals
There are several healing stones that can be used to open, activate, or balance this chakra. When choosing your crystals, don’t forget that purple (indigo) is the key color of the Third Eye. Also, before using crystals to balance and heal the chakra, cleanse and charge them first. The crystals can be worn as a piece of jewelry or held close to the body during meditation.
Below are examples of crystals that can be used.
This precious stone promotes and sharpens your intuition.
This stone can be used to relieve the headache caused by an overactive Third Eye. It can also be used to increase wisdom.
This crystal promotes a balance between emotions and reasoning.
It is used to cleanse, stimulate, and balance the chakra. It also enhances dreams and your ability to recall your dreams.
Third Eye Meditation with Crystals:
- Sit forward slightly. Ensure that your legs are shoulder-width apart, and your spine is straight.
- Place your feet flat on the ground, and your palms should be facing up on your lap.
- Hold one or two amethyst crystals in your right and left hand (if you have just one crystal, hold it in your left hand.)
- Close your eyes and take five slow deep breaths.
- Focus on the Third Eye and visualize it glowing in purple.
- Breathe in, direct your breath to the Third Eye and exhale into it.
- Let your awareness settle into the Third Eye.
- If at any point, your mind starts to wander, refocus it immediately.
- State an affirmation. For example, you can say:
“I am a medium,
I can feel, hear, and see beyond the physical.
I am spiritual and powerful.”
- Repeat your affirmation until you get into a very deep meditative state.
- Remain in this state until you feel a tingling sensation on your forehead. That is a sign of an awakening third eye.
- When you are done, take three slow deep breaths before opening your eyes slowly.
- Finally, ground yourself.
Signs of an Awakened Third Eye Chakra:
Different people experience different signs and symptoms when their Third Eye is opened. Below are some of them:
- You could feel a tingling in the center of your forehead or around the eyes.
- You may experience a throbbing headache that may last for hours. If such happens, that is a sign of an overactive third eye. Ground yourself immediately.
- You may start seeing purple, white, or blue colors when you close your eyes.
- Sometimes, you could suddenly get images of all kinds in your mind’s eye, and some of them might make sense.
- You might experience an increased foresight of future events. It could be a feeling, intuition, or precognition. Don’t overlook it even if it feels scary.
Awakening the Third Eye is not easy. In most people, this chakra is dormant or blocked for a long time; thus, it would take a while for it to be reactivated. According to a source, it could take more than a year of constant meditation before that is achieved. Although, some people achieve this in a shorter duration. As a beginner, who seeks to attain a higher consciousness, you must not give up until your goal is achieved.
Thank you for reading to this point. I want to ask you a question before you go. What is the state of your third eye chakra? Do you think it is open, blocked or imbalanced? Whatever might be your case, we are always here to guide you on the appropriate healing methods to try. Just leave a comment, if possible.